I love the verse James 4:8
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.
We must draw near to God! When we do, He is near!
Having an intimate relationship with God is the best thing I have ever done in my life. I have found peace, freedom, security, trust, and so much love. In my relationship with God I have known the power of His amazing grace and I will not hesitate to encourage everyone to experience the same. It has revolutionized my marriage and completely transformed my heart.
In my relationship with God, I share with Him all that is on my heart. This use to be very difficult for me as I believed He already knew all I was experiencing: but when I take the time to tell Him myself, something beautiful happens. My heart is relieved and I make myself known. I urge you to cultivate an intimate relationship with God and see for yourself what happens.
Also, there are many things used in the Bible to describe intricate parts about our faith or relationship with God. For example, in John 15 Jesus describes how He is the vine and God is the gardener and we are the branches grafted into the vine when we believe in Him.
I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener…I am the vine; you are the branches.
Go get your hands on an actual grapevine and have the vine dresser explain in detail the beautiful history of wine making. Make your faith tangible!
Here is a list of more creative ways to build Intimacy with God:
- Read His word every day in a place of solitude.
- Pray – communicate your heart to Him, share your thankfulness and your requests.
- Ask God to reveal Himself to you in an extraordinary way.
- Tell God about the parts of you that have been difficult for you to receive or accept and ask Him why you struggle to do so.
- Think about all the provisions God has given to you and thank Him for them.
- Discuss God’s word with your husband.
- Think about stories like Peter walking on the water with Jesus or Jesus feeding the 5000 and ask God how those stories can apply to your life.
- Step out in faith when you feel Him calling you to do something, even if it doesn’t make much sense!
- Tell Him stories from your life – let Him get to know you!
- Talk to God about how your role as a parent is similar or different than God’s role as a parent.
- Journal what you are learning about God.
- Ask Him questions about His heart and His will.
- Apply to your life what His word says.
- As you watch your children play, thank God for specific attributes they have.
- Stop being afraid and stop desiring to control everything…trust Him!
- Do devotionals with your husband.
- Submit to God daily.
- Go on nature walks where you acknowledge the beautiful ways God pursues you with creation.
- After you talk to God, spend time just listening.
- Do devotionals like Wife After God, Experiencing God, Good Morning Girls, ect.
I hope these encourage you and inspire you to cultivate intimacy with God. If you have more ideas that would help others please don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments below!
This is part of a series: